why is sunscreen important for skin care and how does it work?
Exposure to UV rays from the sun as well as mobile phones and laptops is the number one cause of skin ageing. Every moment we are exposed to daylight adds up to skin damage like money in the bank. Unprotected skin can show premature ageing, wrinkles, dull uneven skin tone, hyperpigmentation. The best defense is to limit daylight exposure and protect your skin with Broad Spectrum SPF.
What Are Uv Rays and How Do They Affect the Skin?
While UV rays are invisible to the naked eye, they cause significant skin damage. About 95% of UV rays that reach the ground are UVA rays, which cause premature skin aging, while the other 5% are UVB rays, which are chiefly responsible for burning skin.
UVB (burning) rays cause sunburns. These high-energy rays typically penetrate the epidermis.
UVA (ageing) rays generate free radicals, which can lead to premature skin aging, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles. UVA rays can penetrate deeper into skin, all the way to the dermis. UVA rays are always present and they can penetrate glass, which is why it is imperative to wear sunscreen daily and indoors.
What is SPF?
The Sun Protection Factor (SPF) in sunscreen is an indication of the level of protection a sunscreen could give to prevent burning.
SPF 15, 20, 25 = Medium Protection
SPF 30-50 = High Protection
How does SPF work?
SPF15 blocks 93% of UVB; SPF30 blocks 97% of UVB; and SPF50 blocks 98% of UVB.
Doubling the amount of chemical agents to produce an SPF 50+ provides little extra protection.
Will using sunscreen prevent Vitamin D production?
The lack of Vitamin D is another growing concern amongst Indians today, so this is a legitimate question. The answer, however, is no. Since sunscreens cannot block 100% of UV, Vitamin D production can be achieved even whilst wearing sunscreen. Studies have shown that with a small amount of incidental exposure during daylight hours, such as walking to the car or to the balcony etc, skin can produce sufficient levels of Vitamin D.
You should always apply sunscreens 30 minutes prior to exposure, even if you intend to boost your Vitamin D. And we strongly recommend that you wear sunscreen every day, whether you’re indoor or outdoor, summer, monsoon or winter, whatever your skin type.
Physical sunscreen (also known as mineral sunscreen)
- How it works: This type of sunscreen sits on top of skin and reflects the sun’s rays off it.
- Benefits: It is better suited for sensitive skin as it prevents the UV rays from penetrating.
- Ideal for: Physical sunscreen is ideal for all skin types and conditions, including sensitive skin and post-resurfacing treatments.
- How it works: Chemical sunscreen absorbs and transforms the sun’s rays into heat. The formulation of the sunscreen is important as they have a tendency to have a heavy, chalky texture, leave a white caste and can wash off easily
- Benefits: These tend to feel light and look unnoticeable on any skin tone, and are more water resistant and thus useful for sports or swimming activities.
- Ideal for: Chemical sunscreen is suited to most skin types and conditions.
You can choose from Dermalogica’s range of sunscreens, which use sophisticated formulations that actively treat skin concerns, including skin aging, dryness, oiliness, and sensitivity, while protecting you from the sun.
Here’s a quick guide to our collection of best sunscreens that you can choose from based on your skin type:
Invisible physical defence: Invisible, weightless defense that blends easily on skin, featuring only non-nano Zinc Oxide. Say goodbye to thick, white residue with this physical SPF formula that provides added blue light protection and helps soothe away the effects of environmental aggressors, and is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive.
Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF50 - SPF moisturiser for ageing and pigmented skin. This is a 3-in-1 medium-weight moisturiser + broad spectrum sunscreen that treats ageing and pigmentation.
Prisma Protect SPF30 – A multi-tasking moisturiser and SPF suitable for all skin conditions. It is a 3-in-1 moisturiser + broad spectrum sunscreen which increases the skin’s natural luminosity.
Oil Free Matte SPF30 – Mattifying moisturiser with SPF specially for oily, breakout prone skin. A 3-in-1 mattifying moisturiser + broad spectrum sunscreen that treats acne/breakouts, congestion and prevents ageing.
Super Sensitive Shield SPF30 is a broad Spectrum physical SPF, ideal for sensitive, sensitized, reactive and recently resurfaced skin. It’s a 3-in-1 medium-weight moisturiser + only natural mineral sunscreens that treats sensitivity and redness.
Skin Perfect Primer SPF30 – Multifunctional SPF makeup primer suitable for all skin types and conditions. This is a 3-in-1 tinted primer + natural mineral sunscreens which treats signs of ageing. Ideally should be used after a moisturiser.